Cream sauces are the name of our nutrition game, but now that it's getting hot they're not quite as appetizing as they were in, say, January.
But this delicious lemon-rosemary cream sauce is still decadent without being too heavy.
The flavors are bright and summery, but the fats from the heavy cream and butter help keep you full if you're not eating carbs. You could also mix up the herbs if need be - we've got basil, thyme, and dill in the backyard that would also be fantastic.
All in all, we loved this sauce and will definitely keep it in rotation.
E & B
creamy lemon-rosemary chickenA bright and delicious high-fat low-carb dish. Serves 4
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large lemons
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespon fresh rosemary, chopped
¼ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and pound until they are the same size and thickness. You want the chicken breasts the same size so they will cook evenly. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for 4 more minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Cover with foil and set aside. Note-the chicken should be browned, but not cooked all of the way. It will finish cooking in the oven.
3. Turn off the stove, but leave the skillet on the stove. Zest one of the lemons. Add the lemon zest to the skillet. Juice the lemon and add the juice to the skillet. Stir in the broth, onion, garlic, and rosemary. Slice the remaining lemon and add the lemon slices to the skillet.
4. Turn the stove to medium-high heat and cook, stirring the sauce to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring the sauce to a boil. Gently boil for 8-10 minutes so the liquid can reduce to about 1/4 cup. Reduce heat to low and stir in the heavy cream and butter. Cook until the butter is melted, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the chicken breasts back to the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and bake uncovered until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
6. Remove skillet from the oven and serve chicken with sauce spooned on top.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and their Pod.